Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Baby Shower Cheesecakes


I was presented with an interesting challenge this week when I found out my friend Petia, whose baby shower I would be attending, doesn't really like sweets. What was a dessert-baking girl to do? But! She likes cheesecake. So I wanted to make cheesecake, but for some reason, I thought mini-cheesecakes would be more baby showerish.

So I searched online and found the perfect recipe. Not only was it for mini-cheesecakes made simply in a muffin pan (who has one of those pans made JUST for mini-cheesecakes anyway?), it involved Oreo cookies, which just arrived in Bulgarian stores this month, and which I seem to have developed an unexpected addiction to.

Really? A girl who likes to make her own cranberry sauce and squeeze her own orange juice is fond of Oreo cookies? Yes, I admit it. I like packaged cookies.

These mini-cheesecakes got some of the happiest reviews I've heard all year, so I highly recommend trying them yourself. They are stunningly simple too.

Mini Oreo Cheesecakes (recipe can easily be doubled)
Barely adapted from Bake or Break

12 whole oreos
8 oreos, crushed or chopped into small pieces
1 pound (2 8 oz packages) cream cheese (room temperature!)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, beaten lightly in a small bowl with a fork
1/2 cup sour cream
1 shake of salt

1. Preheat the oven to 275 F (135 C).
2. Line a muffin tin with muffin papers, then place a whole oreo at the bottom of each cup.
3. Stir the cream cheese in a big mixing bowl. It should be soft if you've let it sit at room temperature for a couple of hours. Stir in the sugar and then the vanilla.
4. Drizzle in the eggs, stirring constantly. Add the sour cream and salt. Mix thoroughly until everything is blended.
5. Add the crushed cookies and stir.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups.
7. Bake for about 22 minutes or until the centers are set.

Cool completely at room temperature and then put in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. Right before serving, remove from muffin tin and peel off papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment