Saturday, March 20, 2010

MORE coffeecake


Now that I've tried my first coffeecake and realized how incredibly easy it is, I'll be making more. Lots more. Starting today with Simply Recipe's apple coffee cake. I used the recipe basically as is, except I added a little cream, which just might be why everyone at our Saturday brunch kept asking "Why is this so moist?" In a good way.

Apple Coffee Cake (slightly adapted from Simply Recipes
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
5 1/2 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup whole milk (or mix mostly cream and some skim)
2 apples, peeled and sliced

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Butter a pie pan.
2. Mix together the cinnamon and 1/3 cup sugar in a small bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In your main bowl, cream the butter with the rest of the sugar. Beat in the beaten egg. Add the flour in 3 installments, alternating with the milk. The batter will be pretty wet.
5. Spread 2/3 of the batter in the pie dish. Layer the apples in a spiral pattern on top and sprinkle with 1/2 the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Spread the rest of the batter on top.
6. Sprinkle the cake with your remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture. Press it in a bit to the batter by spreading a knife across the top.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is crusty and golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Potash :) I just took the first bite of my first attempt at the apple coffee cake... The funny thing is that I didn't have any normal milk, but had to use soy milk...I also had only whole-grain flour, and I wasn't sure if that was going to work....BUT it did and everything turned out pretty good for a first attempt... now I'm struggling to restrain myself from eating the whole thing :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! It's definitely a sign of cooking confidence to start substituting like crazy, and it usually works out OK. Soon you'll be making all this stuff for all your college friends...

    ReplyDelete