Sunday night I needed a dessert fast for our Sunday night potluck. One thing I knew for sure, I had just the frosting to put on top of whatever it was I made. I love this buttercream. It's great on cookie cake, but it also shines on cupcakes. Or directly from the bag. Whatever. It's tasty.
I only have one cupcake pan, which turned this recipe for 16 cupcakes into 12 high domed wonders. I recommend the 12 little mountain tops, if you like that kind of thing...
Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream
For the cupcakes:
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
For the frosting:
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 TBSP milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
Make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C. Line 12-16 muffin cups.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the hot water and cocoa until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
4. In your main bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
5. Stir in the dry ingredients until just incorporated, then add the cooled cocoa/water mixture and stir until smooth.
6. Fill cups 2/3 (or more) full. Bake 16-20 minutes. The cupcakes are done when you can insert a toothpick (which I never have, so a fork works too) and it comes out clean.
Cool the cupcakes before frosting.
Make the frosting:
1. Cream the (room temperature) butter and powdered sugar.
2. Stir in the milk and vanilla.