When I brought these "magic" bars to my advisees this week, they polished them off in mere seconds and then picked the crumbs off the bottom of the tupperware. They were an equally big hit at our poker game last night. So unlike my last experiment, the disastrous spreading mocha cookies, this trial paid off. See for yourself. They only take about 10 minutes to make.
Cranberry Butterscotch Magic Bars
Adapted from Baking Bites
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dried cranberries
3/4 can condensed milk
Dark Chocolate Chips or a dark chocolate candy bar, in pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F / 176 C. Grease an 8 X 8" pan or line it with parchment.
2. Stir together the oats, butter, and graham cracker crust. Press it into the baking dish with your fingers or a small flat spatula.
3. Drizzle the condensed milk over the crust (or wait and pour it over the layers, I think this is what I'll do next time).
4. Spread the walnuts, cranberries, and butterscotch chips across the top in even layers.
5. Sprinkle on the dark chocolate last.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Cool completely in the pan before slicing into triangles, diamonds, or squares.