Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Digital Picnic

Bakery bread in Amsterdam, Smoothies at "La Boqueria" market in Barcelona, a cheese shop in Glasgow, desserts on show in a Parisian chocolaterie

Many a fabulous picnic have I had in the last year and a half of travel. I still enjoy taste memories of warm chocolate tart on a balcony in Greece, Jarlsberg cheese in a Norwegian railroad station, avocado smooshed over baguettes on a bench in Barcelona and date scones on the banks of the Bosphorus in Istanbul. As the temperature dips below zero in Sofia and our heaters do their darndest to keep pace, I've decided to have my own digital picnic right here. Perhaps I'll make it a wintry tradition.

Should I somehow be transported to a windless warm place tomorrow and invited to a picnic, here are the five recipes I've seen online lately that I'd be tempted to bring along...

#1: Pumpkin Apple Bread at The Amateur Gourmet

#2: Cinnamon Roasted Almonds at Two Peas and a Pod

#3: Gingered Lemon Bars at Simply Recipes

and #4: Cinnamon Plum Jam at The Kitchn with #5 Popovers at The New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment